Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Today is a TTT Freebie, so the three of us decided to all do a different Valentine’s Day-themed topic. And because there are three of us, we are only listing our Top 5 each. Also, Lisa and Erin used topic suggestions the Broke & Bookish ladies provided (so thank you for those!).
Erin’s Top 5 OTPs
1. Tessa Gray, Jem Carstairs, & Will Herondale from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
To be honest, I was so torn throughout the entire series that poly Tessa/Jem/Will was really the only way to go. Their love triangle is one of the only that I’ve read that I felt was an equilateral shape; I could not imagine breaking them up.
2. Juliette Ferrars & Aaron Warner from the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Warner! WAAAAAARNER! I’ll admit, until I read the Destroy Me novella, I was an Adam shipper. But after Destroy Me (and Chapter 62 of Unravel Me *wink wink*), it’s Warner all the way! Him and Juliette just go together in a way that works so well.
3. Annith & Mortain from Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
I tend to like Hades & Persephone-type relationships kind of A LOT, so to have one in one of my favorite series’? THE ABSOLUTE BEST.
4. Inej Ghafa & Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
I don’t trust Leigh to not destroy them/their chance at a relationship, so I very reluctantly ship Kaz and Inej. They understand each other in a way that no one else does, and I cannot wait to see what happens in Crooked Kingdom.
5. Anne Bonny & Jack Rackham from “Black Sails“
Jack and Anne is the main reason I’ve watched Season 1 roughly 20 times now. Their love is subtle and seen only in the smallest glimpses, but it’s still overwhelmingly obvious that they are Ride or Die.
Lisa’s Top 5 Swoony Quotes
1. “I have for the first time found what I can truly love-I have found you. You are my sympathy-my better self-my good angel-I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my center and spring of life, wrap my existence about you-and kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.”
—Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
This is by far one of my favorite dreamy quotes of all times, from one of my favorite leading men. The emotion and complexity that Rochester admits when saying this to Jane is about as swoon worthy as it gets. I love it so much in fact that it just so happened to be one of the readings at my wedding!
2. “I want you any way I can get you. Not because you’re beautiful or clever or kind or adorable, although devil knows you’re all those things. I want you because there’s no one else like you, and I don’t ever want to start a day without seeing you.”
—Harry Rutledge in Tempt Me At Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
So I debated between a hundred quotes from Harry because he is the quintessential Villain/Hero type and everything he says makes your insides melt. This one won out in the end though. I mean let’s be honest…*swoon*
3. “It matters not if you are here or there, for I see you before me every moment. I see you in the light of the water, in the swaying of the young trees, in the spring wind. I see you in the shadows of the great oaks, I hear your voice in the cry of the owl at night. You are the blood in my veins, and the beating of my heart. You are my first waking thought, and my last sigh before sleeping. You are-you are bone of my bone, and breath of my breath.”
—Red in Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
If my husband ever says this to me…I’ll marry him again in a heartbeat. In all seriousness though, Red is a very layered character who almost never says a thing. So at the end when he is telling Sorcha all the things he should have said…well…it will make you cry every time.
4. “I love every part of you, every thought and word…the entire complex, fascinating bundle of all the things you are. I want you with ten different kinds of need at once. I love all the seasons of you, the way you are now, the thought of how much more beautiful you’ll be in the decades to come. I love you for being the answer to every question my heart could ask.”
—Kev Merripen in Seduce Me At Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas
* Pass the tissues *
Stop being so perfect, you fictional men, you.
5. “I’m privileged to see you like this,” he said, his eyes fierce. “Wear your social mask at your balls and parties and when you visit your friends out there, but when we are alone, just the two of us in here, promise me this: that you’ll show me only your real face, no matter how ugly you might think it. That’s our true intimacy, not sex, but the ability to be ourselves when we are together.”
—Winter Makepeace in Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt
Well Winter Makepeace, you can just stop right there. Seriously. Not only are you a masked vigilante by night, you can also cut straight through to the most essential thing another human being could desire; the comfort to be themselves. Well done. Making us swoon to very end.
Amanda’s Top 5 Heroines of Gal-entine’s Day!
1. Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
2-3. Safiya & Iseult from Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
These two have to come as a package deal and although they cause trouble along the way they manage to get themselves out of so many bad situations relatively unscathed. Also, if you haven’t read Truthwitch yet, you’re missing out!
4. Yukiko from The Lotus War series by Jay Kristoff
While mostly quiet, Yukiko is easily one of my favorite female characters. She just has so much confidence and loyalty, it is inspiring! Not to mention the combination of Yukiko and Buruu is quite the force to be reckoned with.
5. Yelena from The Chronicals of Ixia series by Maria V. Snyder
Okay, so this one could be a little iffy, cause Valek does save her a lot. But she also saves everyone else which gets her into the trouble that Valek has to help her get out of. But come on, she’s doing so many things that I can’t mention without spoiling the entire series that she deserves to be one this list. Go read all these books. All of them.
Have a great day, lovies!